We’re looking for an experienced and motivated Linux Systems Administrator to join our join our small but highly productive team here at Brightbox.
Support and run:
- Brightbox Cloud, our “infrastructure as a service”
- our networking infrastructure
- our customers’ managed clusters
- our backup systems
our network management and monitoring systems
- Proactively find ways of improving our services and systems
- Provide excellent customer service and support
- Assist with technical sales
- Participate in an out-of-hours on-call rota
- Update technical and process documentation
- Help design and build new services and systems
The ideal candidate
You have an insatiable desire to understand things, to break them apart and to fix them. You are continuously looking for ways to improve things. You are enthusiastic about some technologies and vocalise your reasoned dislike for others. You have strong opinions and stand by them when it really matters, but are willing to compromise when it doesn’t. You don’t take yourself too seriously and are comfortable with others reviewing your work. You love what you do.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Strong experience with GNU/Linux based systems
- Strong experience with web technologies such as NGINX, Apache
- Experience with common Internet services such as DNS and SMTP
- Experience working with customers
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Keeps up with new technologies and developments
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with conventional database systems, like MySQL or PostgreSQL
- Familiarity with distributed cloud infrastructure concepts
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Familiarity with configuration management systems like Puppet
- Familiarity with Ruby
- Familiarity with virtualization technologies such as KVM and Xen.
- Familiarity with storage systems like GlusterFS, Openstack Swift
- Familiarity with modern database systems like Elasticsearch, Riak, Redis
- Familiarity with router and switch configuration
- Familiarity with the open source development cycle (reporting issues/contributing upstream etc.)
Like our systems, our teams are geographically distributed, communicating in real-time throughout the working day using our private Jabber conference or phone calls. We manage and track our work with Redmine. We’re a lean organisation – you’ll have direct access to leadership as well as other teams. Our development, engineering and operations teams all work closely together which shortens the feedback loop and means we get things done better.
You can work from anywhere in the world, but you need to be able to work mostly during standard UK business hours. If you’re nearby, you can choose to work from our office in Leeds.
Salary is in the range £25,000-£40,000 depending on experience.
1st November 2013.
How to apply
Send a hello email, a CV and salary expectations to jobs at the Brightbox dot com domain. CVs should be in an open format, preferably PDF or plain text.
We do not deal with any recruitment agents. If you’re a recruitment agent and insist on contacting us anyway, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.
posted 07 Oct 2013 by John Leach